HISTORY OF MODERNE MOTORS
The business started with TJ vd Merwe and HC vd Merwe in 1958, as they were a sub agent for VW, Wartburg and Borgwardt. Shell fuel products sold at 6 Struwig Street Warrenton 8530. Shell later changed to BP as product.
From 1958 to 1966, the Tom vd Merwe PTY LTD did business in Mining, Truck Transport, Furniture retail and Garage products. In 1964 the Tom vd Merwe PTY LTD received Datsun where the previous products have been halted due to import problems.
In September 1966, the company got a full franchise for Chrysler from Celmanca as an add on to the Datsun franchise. In 1966, Paul Andries vd Merwe Burger and Anna Susanne vd Merwe got married, on 8 October 1966. For the full year of 1967 only 4 Valiant Rebel cars were sold to Mr. Stephen Deetlefs, Mr. Corry Human, Mr. Bouker and Mr. David Erasmus.
Paul Andries vd Merwe Burger resigned in February 1968 from Standard Bank Head Office in Johannesburg and situated himself in the town called Warrenton where the business under the ownership and management of his late father in-law TJ vd Merwe. Here he worked at Premier Liquor store and quickly decided he should do something else. He then moved to the garage section called Moderne Motors.
In 1970 they started with panel beating work as an addition to the Chrysler and Datsun dealership.
1970/1971 Chrysler remained at 6 Struwig Street and it was decided to relocate Datsun to a new location, Magrieta Prinsloo Street and another Shell agency was added under the name of Paulana Motors.